RSI Announces 2016-2017Scholarship Recipients
Washington, DC - July 19, 2016. The Railway Supply Institute (RSI) announced that its Scholarship Committee has selected six students to receive scholarships for the 2016/2017 academic year. The students will receive between $2,600 and $5,000 each for a total of $27,600 in scholarship funds.
The scholarship recipients, their hometowns, colleges, course of study and company affiliations are:
- Emily Chudzik, Frankfort, Illinois, Millikin University, English Writing - Professional, Wabtec;
- Fabiola Herera, San Felipe Teotitlán, State of Mexico, Mexico, Autonomous University of Hidalgo State, Accounting, Greenbrier Mexico;
- Yelizaveta Kovach, Portland, Oregon, Oregon Health and Science University, Nursing, Gunderson;
- Timothy Mathison, Cokato, Minnesota, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities Electrical and Computer Engineering, Loram Maintenance of Way;
- Makayla Pearce, Lewistown, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University - Altoona, Early Childhood Education, Standard Steel;
- Jordan Rowold, New Baden, Illinois, Southeast Missouri State University, Health Communications, Amsted Rail.
RSI President Tom Simpson said, “Each year the RSI Scholarship Committee awards a minimum of four scholarships to children of members of RSI or our affiliates, the Coordinated Mechanical Associations. We received more than 75 scholarship applications this year from dedicated, thoughtful, high-achieving students. Thanks to donations from our member companies, we are proud to offer scholarships to these six outstanding students,” he noted.
Simpson noted that more than 125 students have received an RSI Scholarship since the program began in 1989, while pursuing degrees in a variety of fields including engineering, business, nursing, teaching, and transportation.
Applicants must be the child or dependent of a current employee whose company is a member of the Railway Supply Institute or one of the Coordinated Mechanical Associations (CMA). The CMA include the Air Brake Association, Inc. (ABA), the International Association of Railway Operating Officers (IAROO), the Mechanical Association Railcar Technical Services (MARTS), and Locomotive Maintenance Officers Association (LMOA). More information about RSI’s scholarship program, including how RSI members can contribute, is available on the RSI website.
About The Railway Supply Institute (RSI)
The Railway Supply Institute (RSI) is the trade association for the entire railway supply industry, representing the nation’s leading companies involved in the manufacture of products and services in the freight car, tank car, locomotive, maintenance-of-way, communications and signaling, and passenger rail industries. America’s railway suppliers represent a $23 billion/year industry supporting 90,000 American workers. For more information visit RSI’s website, www.rsiweb.org, or call 202-347-4664.