RSI Announces 2013-2014 Scholarship Recipients
$30,000 in Scholarships Awarded to Children of RSI/CMA Member Company Employees
Washington, D.C., August 15, 2013 – Tom Simpson, President of the Railway Supply Institute (RSI), today announced that the RSI Scholarship Committee has selected 10 students to receive $3,000 scholarships for the 2013/2014 academic year. Two of this year’s scholarships are sponsored by the Mechanical Association Railcar Technical Services (MARTS).
The scholarship recipients, their hometowns, colleges and company affiliations are:
- Susanna Cai, Portland, OR, Duke University, The Greenbrier Companies;
- Angelica Chapman, Hoover, AL, University of Alabama, The Greenbrier Companies;
- Anthony DeVito, Gilbertsville, PA, Penn State University, USSC Group;
- Jennifer Hermenet, Grand Rapids, MI, Hope College, MAHLE Behr Industry;
- Crystaline Hoover, Mt. Prospect, IL, Beloit College, Union Tank Car Company (UTLX);
- Ryan Johnson, Kansas City, MO, University of Missouri, Orr Safety;
- Kevin Li, Pueblo, CO, Yale, Transportation Technology Center, Inc. (MARTS Scholarship);
- Daniel Olvera Lopez, Ciudad Sahagún, Hidalgo, Mexico, Eastern Technological Institute of the State of Hidalgo, The Greenbrier Companies;
- Rene Smith, Buchanan, VA, Graham White Manufacturing Company (MARTS Scholarship) – Virginia Tech;
- Hannah Toms, Naperville, IL, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, UTLX.
“Each year the RSI Scholarship Committee awards a minimum of four scholarships to children of members of RSI or our affiliates, the Coordinated Mechanical Associations. This year we had 10 outstanding applicants,” said Simpson.
Additional donations for the RSI scholarship came from the following RSI member companies: the Air Brake Association , Amsted Rail Group, Diesel Locomotive Company, Ebenezer Railcar Services, GLNX, Pennsylvania Rail Car. Co., Railhead Corporation and Williams-Hayward Protective Coatings.
“Thanks to donations from MARTS and other RSI member contributions, we were able to offer a record number of scholarships to all of these students to help them defray the cost of their education.”
More than 100 students have received an RSI Scholarship since the program began in 1989, pursuing degrees in a variety of fields including engineering, business, nursing, teaching, and transportation. Applicants must be the child or dependent of a current employee whose company is a member of the Railway Supply Institute or one of the Coordinated Mechanical Associations (CMA). The CMA include the Air Brake Association, Inc. (ABA), the International Association of Railway Operating Officers (IAROO), the Mechanical Association Railcar Technical Services (MARTS), and Locomotive Maintenance Officers Association (LMOA).
More information about RSI’s scholarship program, including how RSI members can contribute, is available at http://rsiweb.org/rsi-scholarship/.
About The Railway Supply Institute (RSI)
The Railway Supply Institute (RSI) represents companies involved in the manufacture of products and services in the freight car, locomotive, maintenance-of-way, communications and signaling, and transit industries. Since its founding in 1908 RSI and its predecessor organizations have delivered comprehensive marketing, government relations, business development, and standards and technology services to its membership and advocated exclusively on behalf of supplier interests in multiple industry coalitions, legislative bodies and regulatory organizations. For more information visit RSI’s website, www.rsiweb.org, or call 202-347-4664.