RSI Seeking Board Nominations, Deadline May 15
April 2, 2014. The Railway Supply Institute (RSI) is seeking help in identifying candidates to serve on the RSI Board of Directors. There are three spots available with the three-year term beginning on January 1, 2015.
The RSI Board consists of twelve directors and three officers and is composed of a small to large companies involved in the manufacture of products and services in the freight car, locomotive, maintenance-of-way, communications and signaling, and passenger industries.
In order to reflect the diversity of the supply industry and to serve the best interests of RSI, it is important to have a strong pool of nominees from which to select board members. If you know a member who would be a good choice for an industry-wide leadership position, please nominate them. Any individual who believes he or she has a contribution to make should feel free to self-nominate. Board nominations are due May 15, 2014.
- Attending Board meetings and participating in decision-making
- Promoting RSI within your profession and contacts.
- Sharing your area of expertise with the Board and staff.
- Participating in assessments to improve board/staff performance.
- Serving on board subcommittee as assigned by the chair.
- Participating in RSI’s conferences and meetings.
Board Member Qualities:
- Commitment: Serving as an RSI Board Member is both an honor and a reward, but it requires a demonstrated commitment to the organization and its mission and goals. Board members are required to attend each board meeting, serve or assist on committees, and be available to members, other leaders, and staff.
- Time to Serve: Participating fully in association activities requires extra time to prepare for travel and attend meetings. RSI Board Members usually commit to 2 – 3 hours per month. During board meeting months, this commitment can be longer due to travel.
- Sound Judgment and Integrity: Being an RSI Board Member means that decisions you make must be tempered with good judgment and integrity, you must also consider what is in the best interest of the association as whole. Discussions held at board meetings are confidential.
- Strategic Thinkers: RSI is looking for candidates who are strategic thinkers and visionaries who will help determine RSI’s short and long term goals.
RSI will contact nominees for additional information including a biography and a statement of interest. All nominees must submit a Board Commitment Form.
If you are an RSI contact officer and would like to be a candidate for our board or nominate someone, please contact Amanda Patrick by email or phone, (202) 347-4664.